Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3, 2019 F150

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCM3 View Post
Its a little early in the life of ceramic coatings to know whats what. My biggest question that nobody can answer is: If the ceramic coat forms a glass like layer(it dries into hard crystals), once it starts to degrade and flake off, how do you remove it properly without fucking up the paint? Nobody can answer this for me because the product hasnt been around long enough. The only answer i have gotten is that it needs to be polished off, and the whole process repeated including paint correction...
Here is my process.
- Car comes out of hibernation (LAST WEEKEND!!!)
- Wash with non-wax soap
- Decontaminate (Iron-X or similar)
- Clay Bar
- Light Compound
- Ceramic coat
- Sealant
Enjoy

I will wash pretty much weekly and use some sort of drying aid spray (AMMO Hydrate) from April to October and apply a new coat of sealant in ~Julyish.

I am no pro, but this is what I do.

You make a great point though in the fact that removing the ceramic is difficult. To my knowledge the only way to remove is to compound off, a light polish won't do it or will take forever. There may be some chemical way to remove it, but I would be concerned about damaging paint or trim with something that strong. The real tricky bit is that even when you are "removing" the coating with compound, you don't know when you are done. I just try to be consistent and make sure that the I do the car evenly.
Appreciate 0