SoCalRPM
Captain
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCM3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
If ceramic coatings caused paint to crack, there is no way these companies would stay in business.

This sounds like something a competitor dreamt up to steer people to their own products.

Advertisement: "Coke causes cancer!"
Consumer: "Oh shoot, I guess I'd better trust that ad and drink Pepsi instead."
Its a little early in the life of ceramic coatings to know whats what. My biggest question that nobody can answer is: If the ceramic coat forms a glass like layer(it dries into hard crystals), once it starts to degrade and flake off, how do you remove it properly without fucking up the paint? Nobody can answer this for me because the product hasnt been around long enough. The only answer i have gotten is that it needs to be polished off, and the whole process repeated including paint correction...
This is my experience with ceramic, too. I've got a cosmetic repair I'd like to polish out, paired with removing a clear bra from half the hood - all of which will leave uneven ceramic coverage. I've looked into what I can do about it but the only answer I've found is that, yes - the ceramic will have to be compounded or polished to be removed and then those sections need to start from scratch.

I love the protection ceramic offers but it comes with complications. Just depends on how involved people want to be or if they're cool with sending it to a detailer from time to time. I'm used to plodding my own cars and then removing when it's time to start over. But with ceramic, I feel stuck in the sidelines.
Appreciate 0