11-20-2018, 08:09 AM   #41
ivegotklas
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by eau_rouge View Post
Dear Sir, I work in the automotive industry and have attended numerous powertrain as well as EV congresses and keynotes from suppliers, manufacturers etc. The current battery technology is not the right solution - but you'll see once you dig deeper.

I had the possibility to drive them all - Model S, X and 3 as well as the BMW hybrids or i3. I think it is something that you can use in the city, because you have the infrastructure and everything else. But please dont tell me that China, India or Brazil will have an infrastructure ready for EV in, lets say 10 years. Even the US is struggling.

I don't know what you want to tell me with "when it is fine for the US, it definitely is for most of Europe" but that's definitely a sentence that only a US citizen can say. As much as I love the US, many people there are diluted. For the most part, the US is no half as much developed as Europe. A country without any regulations for cars NOx or CO2 emissions, neither have something like TÜV (which allows the car every 2 to 3 years to be in good condition to drive on these roads) can't be the standard.

I am excited for the Porsche project. But the car will be so much more advanced from a EV-powertrain perspective than the Tesla, it is even hard to compare.

Utility engineer in the US. The grid is most definitely not ready for everyone to get home from work and pug in their cars. No way you can fast charge on a 10 kVA transformer that feeds your house.

I expect more electric (gas) stations to pop up. Which are few and far between in most of the US.

Plus I don't really think it's a fair assumption to say Tesla is more advanced compared to say BMW, Porsche or GM. Sure they've sold EV cars for a while but that alone doesn't make them more advanced. Usually the first companies to bring a innovative product to the market are the ones that figured out how to build it the cheapest. Not necessarily the best.

Look at Rich Rebuild on youtube. How many times has he changed out a motor on a tesla. It's common for telsa models to have bad drive units. Yet I'm supposed to believe Tesla is the best doing it. Doubt it!

How many i3 have had their drive unit replaced. I bet the failure rate is no where near Tesla.

Seems like with a lot of things these days it's all about branding and public perception. Not based on actual products reliability and serviceability. Good luck getting that Model S fixed after a fender bender. It will be months.
Appreciate 2