United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosef View Post
that was my reaction as well when I read the headline - it's a PR stunt. the 1M is close in terms of performance, but it falls just short. and the M3 beats up on it in all the comfort and practicality dimensions. sure, the 1M might have an edge in the subjective and ambiguous "fun factor" that everyone talks about, but I highly doubt that the Autoblog journalists honestly thought that was enough to carry the day for the 1M. Autoblog is just trying to stir the pot to sell magazines, plain and simple.

I'm not dogging on the 1M - it looks like it's a real hoot to drive. I just don't like the proportions of the 1 series, and I would never own one. and all the self-righteous people in this thread saying you should never NOT buy a car because you don't like its looks are full of it. you're telling me that you would buy a Pontiac Aztec if GM could make it drive better than an M3? give me a break. there are so many different things about cars to appreciate, and people value some aspects more or less importantly than others. hence why there's such a diverse array to choose from - people are different. so no disrespect to anyone who would choose the 1M - I'm not trying to convince you otherwise here - but I'll take the screaming 8,400 RPM V8 that eats C63s for breakfast at the track and is nothing but a pleasure on the drive home.
Lots of people buy ugly cars that have great performance. Look at the popularity of the WRX. It's gone through some very ugly iterations. The bug-eye was one of the ugliest versions, but they grow on you.

I wouldn't call the new EVO very pretty either.

My pet project: https://stickershift.com
Appreciate 0