10-20-2010, 09:40 AM   #74
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3V8Driver View Post
Yep, I saw that. There's no way I'm paying $1545+ for that. For less than $100, you can buy four single scissors jacks, a Gator Grip socket and a 19v cordless drill. Hell, they even sell electrically operated 12v scissors jacks for $60 on Amazon. Either solution is less than 1/12th of the cost of this EZCar list, and much more portable.
I see several problems with this approach:

1. If you buy 4 mechanical scissor jacks, you will need to move around all corners lifting 1-2" at a time. That can be very time consuming, I'd much rather use a DK hydraulic jack + jackstands - safer and faster (but not cheap).

2. If you buy 4 of the electrically operated scissor jacks from Amazon, you will need a 12V DC power source - if you want to operate several at the same time it must be able to feed 40amps. You must also be very careful how you lift them since there is no automatic synchronization between the jacks.

3. How safe do you feel with your car suspended by 4 separate scissor jacks of unknown manufacture, each one resting on a 4"x6" base plate? These scissor jacks are only to be used in emergency roadside tire changes, not for working on your car.

Bottom line IMO is that if you want both convenience and safety, you will have to pay.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0