03-25-2009, 04:33 PM   #30
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbracer View Post
My only concern with spacers is when pushing the wheels out further toward the wheel arch, be it directly in line or even perhaps slightly protruding, that you may get tire rubbing. This is actually a question, not a statement! I have 19 inch Alloy Technic B9 wheels and the car is lowered on H&R's, by roughly an inch. I want to install spacers but obviously I want to avoid any body damage! Also, is it better to go with the same length at each corner ... say 15mm all round .... or is it better to go with something like I have seen mentioned before .... 15mm front / 10mm rear? I don't really understand the latter concept but that seems to be a popular choice.

Any answers? Thanks!
Factory clearances are very generous. Mostly (even with a sports car) the purpose is to account for snow, mud, debris etc. You can push an OEM M3 wheel 15-20 mm to the outside and still have plenty of clearance. I think I have heard that 15 rear and 20 front on the M3 still produces NO rubbing, lowered or not. That may be about the max. Keep in mind if it will rub lowered it will rub unlowered, just when you hit a bump!
Appreciate 0