03-03-2021, 08:34 PM   #3
Davisca455
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearKid View Post
Has anyone experienced an ARP bolt not able to torque down to specification? The shop was trying to explain this issue during a rod bearing job. Max torque achieved was 20 N-m. I asked if the threads were stripped and they are not. Not sure what the deal is. I'm heading to the shop tomorrow to get some eyes on this. Any recommendations as for how to handle this?
As if this weren't enough, the adjacent rod journal is out of round (min: 50.6mm max:52.0mm).
Motor did not spin any bearings but the two in question were well worn into the copper (2008 model year). What's the max tolerance for out of round journals and how does this happen? I guess there's no visual scratches. Shop thinks I need to pull the motor and find a new one.
I have to convert to english units to understand the numbers.
As I understand it, the rod bolts should be torqued to 50ft lbs, but they only achieved 14.75ft lbs (20nm).
That sounds like something yielded, but it's hard to imagine one of those bolts yielding so far below their intended design?
The crank rod journal variance seems WAY too high?
1.4mm (.0551") difference between min and max?
I'm not buying that.
Either the measurements were incorrect or the reporting of the measurements is a mistake.

I would also very carefully inspect the internal threads of the connecting rod and ask them to remeasure the crank journal, so you can see the numbers yourself.
What does their torque wrench look like?

Is the shop supplying the bearings and bolts, and what brand are they?

Chris,
2008 E92
Appreciate 3
SYT_Shadow11490.00
DrFerry6728.50
slcook541863.00