View Single Post
      03-03-2011, 08:32 AM   #78
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
I don't see that not even now. Perhaps I am delirious...
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...1&postcount=65
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...1&postcount=74

Quote:
However, to most accurately capture ALL aspects of these various criteria I believe ...automated manual... superior term over automatic for a dual clutch.
I agree. And like I and many others have pointed out both now and in past discussions, you can apply the exact same logic for a modern planetary gear box as well. Thus I'll never agree that it makes sense to single out one type of gearbox over another as a justification to use new terminology, nor will I agree that such terminology should be applied selectively depending on the internal workings of the transmission. Logic dictates that you must either apply the new term unilaterally to all modern, computer controlled and highly advanced transmissions with both an automatic and manual mode, or you apply to none of them at all.

By that same token, there's nothing wrong with simply calling a DCT or DSG or PDK a dual clutch gearbox as long as you apply the same level of specificity to all other transmissions. So in that context, you then call BMW's Steptronic (for example) a torque converter planetary gearbox, and you call Mercedes MCT a wet-clutch planetary gearbox. What you cannot do though, logically, is call these latter types automatics, while at the same time refusing to apply that same term to a DCT. It just doesn't make any sense whatsoever to do so.

Not to repeat myself, but I'll say again that I personally am fine with using the traditional term "automatic" instead of coming up with new terms simply because the term automatic has been applied to "automanuals" for years now and I don't expect it will change. If you like your new term better then, great. I just don't agree that the DCT alone is cause to rethink the terminology. Rather, the time to rethink it was long ago. DCT is merely the latest in a series of innovations that break the mold of the automatic transmission.

Quote:
Again, I'm fine to agree to disagree at this point.
Well I tried, but I just had to make some counterpoints.
Appreciate 0