Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by admranger View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQ13 View Post
Safety. If you want to keep your factory seats, you can get a Schroth QuickFit Pro harness and use a HANS device. I did this at my second event, as a novice.
Schroth QF Pro is a good choice for an HPDE harness that doesn't require a steel head bashing tube (roll bar) to be in your car at all times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_PDX View Post
Someone up above said, regarding safety equipment:

"This overkill for HPDE in a modern designed car. What keeps instructors safe is students who check their ego at the gate, listen to their instructors, and keep their cars in top mechanical condition. "

Just, no.
I'll save you some time...it was me. The old fart. The one that instructed for ~2 decades and raced for one decade. But that's not important, what is important is the risk calculation. What's the most dangerous part of a track weekend? Getting to and from the track with all the civilian drivers.

My comment was on the roll bar (for the most part) so "just yes".

If the car is trailered to the track, never mind and carry on.

Schroth QF Pro harnesses are a fine choice for HPDE. Regular race harnesses only work with fixed back seats and if you put those in you need to put in a roll bar. You need the roll bar to prevent the setback from going backwards (you do have a seat back brace in the car, right?) and to get the belts installed within the allowable angle range of the belts (over the seat and down the shoulders has a specific, allowable angle range).

If you drive your car to the track and commute in it, a roll bar presents a significantly higher risk to your health. You spend more time in the car off track than on track (assuming above conditions) and you're much less safe on the roadways than on the track (accidents per mile), assuming you run w/a decent HPDE group that exerts control over the participants.

My sister got whiplash when we were rear ended at a stop sign at about 10mph. If there'd have been a roll bar in the car it may have been a head injury on top of the whiplash.
The forum is so valuable when we get range of contributions influenced by a range of experiences. Like investing in the stock market, it is ALWAYS the individual responsibility to take all input and synthesize the correct answer appropriate to specific individual.

I like this answer very much because I am debating (with myself) about the cage or harness bar.

Given my objective of keeping the car mods to as stealth as possible, the roll cage was not on my agenda, but safety is and I was thinking one sided. track safety. So role cage was entering my thoughts. It is easy to get carried away when one watch Formula One races and daydream about the possibilities of careers in the after life.

So for me, it will have to be BK harness bar and can be stowed out of the way when on the street and the OEM 3-point is kept functional.

It is my long winded way to say thank you @admranger for your point of view
Appreciate 2
DreamTime864.50
admranger2984.50