View Single Post
      05-27-2011, 02:54 AM   #12
kitw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F91 M8, 991.2 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3 Tim View Post
I believe they cannot void your warranty if you modified the car as long as the modified part does not effect the failed part. From memory, is the Magnussen Moss Act... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuso...s_Warranty_Act . You may want to research it a bit or speak with an attorney.

DONT LET THEM SCREW YOU OVER on this....total BS to say the springs have anything to do with the diff. Ridiculous!
I know SEMA likes to wave this around and the internet has taken it up as their flag to protect against warranties being invalidated...

The fact of the matter is, the Magnussen Moss Act just specifies that the terms have to be clear, it doesn't say that the entire warranty can't be invalidated for a modification. When we all paid for our cars, the warranty terms state that ANY modifications (ie use of parts that are not within factory specifications) can result in the warranty being null and void, something that is not against the Magnussen Moss Act, as long as it is very clearly stated. (which it is, in BMW's warranty)

I think that most car companies are not going to spend the money to defend themselves in court and most cave to legal pressure, which has been reinforcing this idea.

I think that BMW should cover the car in the case of a failure, if unrelated modifications are performed... but in this case, if the differential really did fail, it could very well be the fault of lowering the car, and placing the axles at a different angle, etc. Don't get me wrong, I'd fight for it to be covered too, but you're going to have to either get really persuasive or lawyer up to get BMW to cover it.

DSC_3369 by Kit W, on Flickr
Appreciate 0