View Single Post
      07-25-2011, 10:27 AM   #79
richardg
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: MacanGTS, 991.2GT3, E63wagon

I never owned an sti but I did recently drive the new '11 wide body. Interior is shit and it didn't seem to handle well to light inputs BUT I think you could outrun an e9x M from a dig at most lights. From a roll or on the highway I would put my cash on the M3. Stock for stock the M will be faster in most, if not all, situations. Around most tracks the M should be quicker. Small technical courses like waterford hills or autoX events though I think you would be quicker in the STI. Now reliability I cannot speak on, but a 35k STI with another 30k in mods to match a 65k M3 will deuce on damn near anything, let alone an M3. Though I don't think there are many who cross shop M3s and STIs in the real world. Most people will buy the coolest/fastest/nicest car they can afford that fits their image and lifestyle. I think most STI buyers would probably buy a used GTR if they could afford 60-70k. The same way many of us would purchase a Porsche if we could. That's not to say there aren't individuals who can afford much more and choose not too. Another bit of food for thought. Personally I feel my M3 is really hard to enjoy on public roads. IMO anything over 260-300hp is hard to truly enjoy on public roads. You can only safely go so fast and most cars with 300+ hp have awesome suspensions and tires to match. How are you supposed to get near the limits of a car that is built to drive well at 120 when you don't often get above 80. (I am speaking for the majority of us who don't act like an ass while driving) I think you could have more fun with an STI daily, and you will pocket a lot of extra cash. At the end of the day the M3 was an all around package that I love and think you would too.
Appreciate 0