View Single Post
      07-15-2018, 04:32 PM   #105
XKxRome0ox
e90noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3

when i was buying my car (2008 e90 m3), the previous owner had an extended warranty ... but there was only about 9 months left
car only had 57,500 miles at the time
it was either buy the car with the warranty or take $1200 off the selling price as the previous owner can cancel and get a prorated refund

i opted to take the price of the warranty off and just use that money toward a preemptive rod bearing replacement + other maintenance work
because chances are ... the warranty will expire without actually needing to use it at all and then i'd still have to spend the money anyway

i didn't want the nagging idea in the back of my head that my engine can grenade at anytime
and even if the warranty took care of the problem without any resistance, just being without a car for however long it takes to repair would be hassle enough
the rod bearings did show enough signs of wear that i felt good about my decision to do the swap right away

AND back on original topic
i wish i had known more about the difference between 2008 models and 2009+ models
the flywheels + clutch that must be replaced together on '08 models
the idrive CCC v CIC system
the updated taillights for 09+

armed with more knowledge, i probably would have searched harder for a '09+ model
although my '08 is in great condition both visually and mechanically
and it was really difficult to find a sedan + 6mt + slicktop that was CA smog compliant at the time i was looking

Production date - 2008-04-22
Appreciate 3
scrammer421.50
Theodore668.50
lvevo75.50