11-19-2009, 10:11 AM   #17
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Honda S2000 TT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertrip View Post
Safe tunes usually run a little leaner down low and a little rich up top. He's most likely running the car rich up top so that he can add timing up top. Each car is different, and responds differently to AFR and timing changes.
Each car/mods is different and each tune should be different, but the AFR after the tune should be similar on each car. I have tuned cars, and I have looked at many dyno plots and AFR plots. Running extra rich to add more timing is not the proper way to tune a car. You shouldn't be using unburnt fuel to stop detonation from running too much timing. That is a cop out or a way around the problem. The car has a knock sensor if it is running too much timing it will pull timing on its own. He should be running the most timing he can without getting detonation and have a close to 13:1 air fuel ratio. I'm hoping Powerchip can explain these air fuel plots or someone else who was tuned can post theirs up. Personally if after my car was tuned I saw an air fuel plot like that I would be asking the tuner WTF which TLud has. I await his response.
2009 BMW M3 Coupe: Sold e92.ridedomain.com
Appreciate 0