K-M3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '12 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvstar9M3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-M3 View Post
Old thread but just stumbled upon it . As someone who toyed with the idea of a GT350 to replace my E92 but finally did not act on it, there were 2 main reasons that got me to keep my e92M3
1. Build quality and interior quality - not even on the same level ... the M3 is still miles ahead
2. Very consistent horror stories regarding oil consumption on that voodoo motor starting around 5-10K miles. If u think the rod bearing issue is scary with our M3s, the oil consumption and secondary vibration issue on the GT350 is even worse. Ford has deemed the oil consumption as normal. Worse is , this isn't that much an issue when the car is new, but starts anywhere between the 10-15K mike mark according to consensus on the GT 350 forums. To me, that did not bode well for the longevity of the motor , however great it may be
wait...don't we have crazy oil consumption on the m3 too? My last one I used to have to fill up every couple of months.
Oil consumption yes .... but it ain't too crazy I believe on the M3. Mine uses oil too ... about one quart every 7-8K miles ... but that too is me always keeping the oil level at the full-3/4 mark on the electronic dipstick. It's never really given me a low oil warning except maybe once I believe. And this is with the newer shell based 10W60 which is reported to be a slightly thinner viscosity than the castrol 10W60. It does make the car feel smoother though. With the earlier castrol edge professional , I hardly needed to top up between oil changes.

If u browse thru the GT350 forums, long term reviews and speaking to owners (I've had chats with 2), some cars are going through almost 7-8 quarts in between oil changes . One of the two that I spoke with is doing better - he's at 25k miles and needs about 3-4 quarts every 8K . It's this level of consumption that's been deemed normal by Ford that bothers me.

If our M3s were consuming that much oil , it wouldn't be without a problem that would need to be diagnosed and fixed ( leaky valve seals, piston ring issue, oil leaks , something....). I would personally not feel comfortable with an engine burning that much oil for regular use.
Appreciate 0