07-04-2011, 09:46 AM   #5
k5ng
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F83 M4 Mineral Grey/DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHat View Post
The search function can be your friend. Hundreds of assessments on this question.

You really can't ask people for an opinion on this because the only opinion that matters is yours.

As a vert owner, and a driver of E90s and E92s I'll try to encapsulate the answers you're most likely to get.

First, the facts. The vert adds about 400 lbs. All things being equal, the E90 and E92 will perform better. Regarding handling, many find the rigidity of the E90 makes it better than the E92/93. So in absolute terms the answer is clear.

You need to consider how you plan to drive it. Going to the track a lot?

Personally, I find the E93 to handle very well and have PLENTY of power. Any of these cars can get you a felony reckless driving charge in the lower half of their power band. In other words, if you're just into spirited driving on roads and highways all versions are great and capable of painting a smile on your face. So in practical terms, they're all a blast to drive.

Top down driving can be a lot of fun. It's a personal matter if it's worth the extra money. The vert does eat into the trunk when down, so that limits cargo handling a bit. While the rear seats don't fold down, there is a "pass through" from the trunk for longish items. I pretty much keep my rear seat facing folded down and thus have a carpeted storage space vs a rear seat most of the time. So you'll you'll need to weigh cargo handling into your assessment and again, that's dependent of how you'll use the car and what other vehicles you may have.

Good luck. Really can't go wrong.
+1!

2 different cars. Had the same dilemma. Driven E90, E92 and E93s, although the prior were not M's. Really depends are what your heart really desires. I had to go with the sexy! Nothing like driving around with the top down!

2008 E92 335xi Sparkling Graphite/Coral Red (gone)
2011 E93 M3 6MT JZB/Ext Bamboo (gone)
2013 E93 M3 DCT SSII/Palladium,Blk,Blk (gone)
2016 F83 M4 DCT MG/Black
Appreciate 0