View Single Post
      09-04-2013, 09:35 PM   #16
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Jenson Button is looking for a "strong result" when he heads to Monza to tackle the challenges of the high-speed track.

Button is one of many experienced drivers who has yet to taste the victory champagne at Italy.

He has come close, though, several times, taking the runner-up position three years in a row, 2009 to 2011.

And although this year Button's chances of yet another Monza podium are slim given McLaren's woes, the Brit is still relishing the challenges that await next weekend.

"I've always loved Monza. I really enjoy circuits that have a bit of history to them, and Monza has that in abundance - it's one of the greatest tracks on the calendar," Button said.

"The place is unique: ever since we lost the 'old' Hockenheim, this has been the only place on the calendar where you run a really super-low downforce configuration.

"And you can feel it - the car accelerates up to speed incredibly quickly, feels skittish and loose when you're running flat-out, and can be tricky and unpredictable under braking.

"But that's what makes the place a special kind of challenge, and I really enjoy that.

"When you have the car hooked up beneath you, you get into a special kind of rhythm around Monza: you're going so fast that the whole lap just flows together. There's nowhere quite like it.

"So it's really appropriate that McLaren will be celebrating its 50th anniversary in the paddock over the Monza weekend.

"Both names are synonymous with motorsport history - you couldn't imagine Formula 1 without them - so I'll be hoping for a strong result to show the strength and depth that we have as a team."

Last edited by 954Stealth; 09-04-2013 at 09:46 PM..
Appreciate 0