CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Montreal View Post
I think a DCT will be quicker in the right hands. It does involve many more gear changes.

I had an e92 M3 and like Gewow above mentions, at LCMT all it requires is 3'rd and 4'th gear.

The DCT on the same track uses (as canaut mentions) 2'nd through 5'th gear. That's a lot more and more chance to bounce off the limiter or not be in the right gear. Its the better track option but requires more practice as far as what gear to be in and even shifting gear mid corner.

At LCMT there is only one sweeping long left gander where I can think you would switch from 3'rd to 4'th gear so basically all the gear changes are when you're in a straight line pretty much.
There are 2 turns where I typically upshift while the car is laterally loaded: turn 13 (the long right hander between Bridge a Namerow) and at the track out of turn 15 (going onto the front straight) as hit redline before the car is completely straight.

In this short sequence you will see these 2 corners (same clip I have posted on another thread).

I could also probably benefit by upshifting a bit later going into turn 6, but I still have the bad habit of short shifting before the turn-in.

I have also started using a new tighter line at the exit of Namerow where I downshift into 2nd. I previously used to do the wider/longer/faster line in 3rd gear (like in the video above). I now take a tighter/shorter/slower line. 2nd gear allows me to accelerate faster back to speed. I have not yet figured out which of the 2 lines yields the fastest sector time, I need to get my buddy to lend me his data logger to figure it out .

Last edited by CanAutM3; 11-03-2012 at 07:17 AM..
Appreciate 0