Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
People say the e46 CSL is the holy grail.

Have these people driven the e46 with the SMG trans? Wtf are they smoking? It made me want to vomit. Trans tune or not.

The e46 with the SMG is the not only the WORST M car ever made, it is arguably the worst car ever made by BMW. Wanting to vomit every time you drive the car is not said often. It's reserved only for the worst of the worst in automotive history.

Shame on them for even allowing such a horrible transmission in this car.

So bizarre that the SMG is so bad yet the next gens got the DCT which is so good. In fact even today IMHO on "feel" alone I think it's the best transmission ever made. Better than the PDK-S.

Discussion here should be limited to e46 6MT vs e9X 6MT.
I'm no fan of any automatic, including SMG (currently in the process of converting my e60 M5 from SMG to 6MT, have converted several e46 M3s), but this post is insane. SMG is completely fine (good, even) on track and works on the street once you learn how to drive it. Of the single clutch systems (Ferrari, LFA, Aston), it's one of the best out there.

I don't like it because I don't like any automatic-- but if I had to take some sort of automatic, I'd take SMG over DCT, because it forces you to be more involved in driving (rev matching, lifting, etc).

... and the notion that it makes it the worst M car is just silly.
So you admit to changing a number of SMG's to MT's yet I voice my opinion on the e46 SMG being the worst and my post is insane? lmfao
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 1