View Single Post
      02-17-2021, 03:11 PM   #38
14_deltaM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e36m3 euro —>e92m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0W3RD View Post
Every generation M3 has something that makes it special.

I will say this about the E46: its held its value exceptionally well.

The way the prices have gone, I can't see myself owning one though.

At the end of the day, its one of the more problematic M3s: rod bearings, sub frame issues, valve adjustments.

It's certainly a fine machine...but worth the same money as an E92? Nothing competes with the 8400 RPM wail for that bespoke V8 engine.

The E92 is a superior car in every measurable way (except weight...but my CF roof/speed cloth/ single hump E92 tipped the scales at 3550 lbs with all fluids and a full tank of gas) and has proven to be a far more reliable platform, rod bearings withstanding, but that seems to be a far less prevalent issue than it was on the E46 platform. And its still analogue. It has the BEST steering of any modern BMW. It will remain the most "extreme" BMW M3 ever developed...engineered with glee during their time in F1.

I find the E36 M3 to be a more interesting car than the E46 on a number of levels. It's far less expensive to own and maintain, a tremendous joy to drive, not nearly as problematic, and yeah it doesn't have ITBs...but with the M50 intake manifold swap, ASC delete, and a tune...it RIPS (5.1 second 0-60 launch in my 200K miles car with those mods and full interior).

To each their own! This is a wonderful community.
All well said. I will say it again - a euro spec e36 may be the best M3...
Appreciate 0