10-03-2008, 01:53 AM   #75
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky View Post
The weight distribution can't favor the GTR as more will be hanging off the nose. Having that weight on the back of the Porsche helps with braking and helps applying power out of the turn. Why don't these advantages translate into ridiculous numbers for the 911? AWD is not the be all end all, RWD race cars usually lap quicker in competition. These are street cars, so not exactly applicable, but people are giving the GTR way too much credit.
Having the weight in the rear of the car has no advantage in braking other than on the straight and narrow. Are you sure you have driven a 911 in anger because on all the occasions that I have I found that a slow in approach was the only manner which worked and the thing would quickly change from understeer to oversteer in any corner when a little too much throttle was applied.

The GTR has a weight balance that is in between that of Audi quattros and the BWM M3 (i.e. 54/46). This means that the GTR will be able to brake deeper into the corner than the Porsche and with it's (generally agreed) most advanced awd in the world it can also get on the power sooner than the Porsche as well.

P.S.
RWD cars aren't quicker in competition, the truth is that AWD has an unfair advantage and were banned from every form of motorsport, with the exception of rally based forms of motorsport.

P.S.
It's not mob rules, this is not a bunch of idiots with no knowledge of the subject in question. Even if it was the facts speak for themselves, the GTR is quicker in every test that has been independently conducted, to deny this fact places you in the 'bunch of idiots' group.

i.e. Pissing in to the wind.
Appreciate 0