View Single Post
      08-27-2007, 11:05 AM   #85
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
You have a point about the 328 vs. 330 decision. I wonder if the arrival of the 335 was publicized/leaked in advance so that potential buyers at least had the option to wait? If the M3 was going to get DFI mid-cycle (unlikely), I would think the best way to handle it might be to leak some info about it so that the enthusiasts get a chance to think things through...
The info was available, but it was not acknowledged in the least by BMW and was also debated very hotly on the forums. In addtion, BMW waited until the absolute 11th hour to finally confirm the E90 335i. Most everyone was convinced that only the E92/E93 would get the N54 turbo. Others thought that the E90 would get it, but not until a few model years later (like for the mid-life refresh). You really had to scour the forums and keep track of the posts made by the claimed insiders and study their track records. People were getting flamed left and right for even suggesting that BMW would release an E90 335i so early and "screw over" the 2006 330i owners.

In the end, many, many, MANY people were caught off guard by the E90 335i, and there were countless threads on E90post from pissed off 330i owners. I would guess that probably at least 25% of them have gone on to trade for a 335i by now (taking a large loss in the process). Bottom line is, IMHO, it is rare for an automanufacturer to base their products around the wishes of past customers. Typically they are much more concerned about future customers. They will do what it takes to keep pace with what their competitors are doing.
Appreciate 0