View Single Post
      08-23-2019, 09:26 PM   #1
Kelse92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Former e92 M3 Owner

Changing the Color of MPerformance Steering Wheel Stripe

This is for those who have an MPerformance or other Alcantara steering wheel with a leather stripe! if you’ve owned it for awhile, you’ve probably had the issue of the leather on the blue center-stripe, like on mine, may have worn/faded with use. Or maybe you’re just bored of the basic blue and want to switch it up and try something different. I did mine this evening after planning it out a couple weeks ago and it turned out really well so figured I’d share for anyone else who may want to do the same.
For the materials, I personally had a lot of prior experience custom dying leather and have done a lot of research in the past on what to use, so rest assured these are proven long-lasting hug quality products that have been used by artists around the globe on designer handbags, Jordan’s, etc.

Materials needed:
Angelus Leather Preparer and Deglazer
Angelus Acrylic Leather Paint in the color of your choice (they sell over 50 colors and you can even mix them if you really wanted a specific shade)
Angelus Acrylic Finisher (can also use the matte or satin options on their site)
Painters tape
Plastic/paper towels etc.
Flat and fine-detail acrylic paintbrushes
If not removing the steering wheel, a compact mirror.
A steady hand
About an hour’s worth of time
Total cost: approx $20

I left my steering wheel on because I wasn’t in the mood to mess with the extra steps to take it off, but honestly, it would be much easier if you just removed it.

The process itself is pretty simple.
Mask off around the stripe so you don’t accidentally get paint on the alcantara, I used paper towels to cover the steering wheel beyond where the tape was, but plastic wrap etc would work too.
Use a paintbrush and do a quick once-over with the deglazer to prep the stripe for painting.
Give it a couple minutes to dry and then use the paint, best applied in Very thin coats. I used a flashlight to make sure I got full opacity after about 4-5 thin layers. I used a small mirror to reach and see the back side. And then lastly after giving it about 10 minutes to dry. Finish off with a thin layer of the finisher of your choice, and Done!

Photos attached. I personally wanted to a Royal Blue that would be darker than the original light blue, but if you’re looking to color-match the original and just freshen up your stripe, I’ll lookup the color that would work best.
Attached Images

#ladydriven Heavy-spec M3 // KW Clubsports // AA x-pipe // Gintani muffler // Macht-Schnell intake // Gintani tune // OMP Seats // Too Many Apex Wheels // Stoptech ST-60 // Cobalt Friction brake pads
Appreciate 0