View Single Post
      10-04-2008, 08:17 PM   #47
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Legacy GT - 13.704@99.39

Quote:
Originally Posted by impulsoren View Post
...And the one problem that kept me out of an M3 right away....lack of torque. As much as you guys argue about how great the high revs are, and then argue about how good a daily driver it is, the M3 just doesn't provide the low-end a daily driver needs. And that goes along with fuel mileage. Make better low-end, you won't have to rev the crap out of it, and will get better gas mileage.

Or put turbos on it. Holding out for the ideal of "high RPM NA performance" is like when F1 banned turbos back in the 1900s when Honda kept beating everyone silly with fuel efficient turbo'd motors. A bunch of old fogeys making rules to justify their stolid position instead of going with technology.
Have to disagree here. I've previously taken stupendously unpopular positions in this venue about how the M3 would be a better overall car with a Vette motor, etc., but in everyday driving, the M3 doesn't feel sluggish. Its very short gearing makes up for that relatively poor torque-to-weight ratio. I still think it would be a better car if it made more torque, but the fact is it drives really well with what it has.

Bruce