06-08-2009, 05:08 PM   #54
NugeMobile
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 (E90)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
As the poster from Eclipse says - some of the comments in this thread are laughable.

I have had my Sparkling Graphite E92 M3 wet sanded, by the supplying dealer, at his cost. He did it because I was unhappy with the amount of orange peel, and he regards me as a good customer that he wanted to keep happy. So full marks to him, and the job done, which has transformed the paint finish.

The bodyshop manager told me that with current BMWs this is a time consuming job to do, as the clear coat is so hard. Note that he also said that with some BMWs, from some plants, the clear coat is actually designed to be self-healing and when this type of finish is used, wet-sanding will not do the job.

And for the poster(s) who said that all BMWs have orange peel - well my previous 3 M3s did not have it to any significant extent. Maybe the statement would have been correct if it had been "all current 3 series", as the 5 series also does not seem to have it so bad.
Tony B - any chance we could see some pictures? And to everyone else, having met Eclipse personally trust me when I say he knows his sh_t. While not his primary job, his true passion is stuff like this and he's probably the most educated on the topic I'll ever meet. I'd trust his judgment and opinions on these matters any day.
Appreciate 0