06-20-2018, 01:08 PM   #35
DreamTime
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_PDX View Post
Someone up above said, regarding safety equipment:

"This overkill for HPDE in a modern designed car. What keeps instructors safe is students who check their ego at the gate, listen to their instructors, and keep their cars in top mechanical condition. "

Just, no. I do instruction for both novice through advanced students, and while there may be some truth to the "overkill" statement for a complete novice (as speed tends to be much lower), I am leery about getting into an advanced student's car if they plan on going 10/10ths and aren't running proper seats and harnesses (so I can wear my HANS).

It doesn't take a fast impact to damage your neck, including suffering internal decapitation. At our local track several years ago an instructor got a pretty good whiplash from his student sliding off into a tire wall at ~45/50mph and had to stop driving/instructing for a few months because of it.

If you are taking this seriously, and driving on a track where there are walls or dirt your tire can catch on and flip the car (i.e. EVERYWHERE) then proper safety gear is a must.
I need to figure out the best way to balance safety upgrades while still keeping my car somewhat street friendly. I don't mind installing race seats and that being how my car is for the next year or so until I can justify buying a track only car. I live 5 mins from my office, so there isn't much of a commute. I often ride a bike to work lol. That way I can install harnesses too, but still keep my regular seat belt functional. Is that an okay place to start? What about a roll bar? I thought someone, somewhere told me it was dangerous to be strapped into a harness without having a roll bar, in case you end up upside down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_PDX View Post
As far as other tips:

* Focus on understanding your car. Driving with DSC off will ultimately make you faster, but understand the risks of not having the nannies there to save you.

* Stick with street tires for a while. I'm partial to Hankook RS4's for my M3s on the track. You will learn MUCH more about handling and limits on street tires than you will on semi-slicks. The margin of grip to no grip on street tires is pretty wide and progressive, and the M3 chassis is a solid platform to work on that car control.

* Brakes, brakes, brakes. Of all mods, beyond safety, do this first. Upgraded pads, stainless steel brake lines, and Motul 600 or equivalent fluid.

* Note on mods: after Brakes (and tires), Safety comes handling. Suspension upgrades next. Power upgrades last (after you plateau lap times after everything else is done)

* Get instructors whenever you can. Everyone has different tips and tricks and their preferred lines on any given track. You can learn from everyone. I still have people faster than me (racers or other instructors) ride shotgun when I can, to soak up as much information as possible. Just this month I shaved 0.5 seconds off my personal best at our local track by having a friend critique my videos and offer advice on a single corner (a driver who has won the 24 Hours of Dubai).

* Focus: Don't get an instructor and just say "help me go faster". Tell them what corners you want to focus on, and what your goal is. Take it 5-10mph faster? Smoother? Maintaining momentum? Be specific, and focus on achievable goals rather than just a whole lap time.
- I waited a whole year until I felt comfortable enough to turn off DSC all the way. It was kind of a big deal to me, but I feel like I was ready. I do respect the fact that the driving is all in my hands now, and I take that pretty seriously. But, few things in life are as enjoyable as learning and understanding my car.

- I used PSS all year and at the end of the season, at VIR, when I was first bumped up to intermediate, my instructor mentioned several times throughout the weekend that he thought I had reached the limits of those tires. When I bought a dedicated set of track wheels I went with RE71s and I love them. I'm not sure if that was maybe too big of a jump or not, but I don't want to give them up now that I have them lol. I will need to buy more tires before the season is over, so I will check out the RS4s you mentioned.

- I currently use PFC 11s at the track, but I think I will get the 08s the next time I get pads. And I have used Motul RBF 600 since my first track weekend last year. I plan to upgrade to stainless steel brake lines before this year is over.

- I am definitely in no rush to not have instructors anymore. I feel like I still have so much to learn, and all throughout my life I have found success with the help of others who were willing to teach me. I always have clear goals that I have set that I commnicate to my instructors, and I listen to the goals that they suggest I focus on as well.

- Congrats on setting a new personal best at your local track, cool story too!

Thank you so much!! I love everything that everyone has to offer as far as advice, and there is some great stuff in your post. You are appreciated!
Appreciate 0