View Single Post
      09-05-2018, 04:24 PM   #41
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railgun View Post
I think we're talking about different sides of the same coin. Agreed, a proper system will do this. I've worked with Meraki more extensively, and to a smaller extent Ubiquiti, though that system leaves a lot on the table. While what you wrote is true, and in many cases, the AP placement density is generally higher than it needs to be, at least the surveys I've been a part of. Whether you have more APs at reduced power, or fewer at higher, in a non tech shop, that's somewhat irrelevant.

That's taking the point out of context.

And agreed. Though I never claimed that hundreds of clients were possible on an AP (though some companies would have you believe otherwise).

When you're dealing with multicast, which isn't a normal end user use case for streaming video in a corporate environment, or masses (what number would that be? 20? 40?) of RTP traffic, then agreed, it's something of a different consideration. Keep in mind, the context of this thread is about a guy in a house. Similar to what we'd done in a previous role, we'd proxy these video streams via BlueCoat. These streams weren't multicast, but in the context of an AP, I don't see much difference in multicast vs unicast in terms of number of clients receiving the stream and load on the AP. But I've also not had to deal with multicast over wireless, thus don't have a use case for it.

There again, it was taken out of context, and again, different sides of the same coin. If one AP wouldn't cut it, you'd add another one, but can still call it an issue of coverage. Regardless of whether the client can still technically see the AP, but not vice versa, in either case, the client won't connect, so you add an AP to increase coverage.

And yes, I'm familiar with WiGig.

I've used Aruba in the past as well. I'm sure I have an old RAP floating around here as well and am familiar with its tech. My old shop was a Cisco turned Aruba setup. A more immediate role was all Meraki. I use Unifi gear at home, with their USG, a few switches, three AP-AC-Pros, and two AP-M-Pros for outdoor coverage.

I'm may be right in saying we're both network engineers, whereas you seem to be more in tune with wireless networks. I traditionally haven't been. And you know what they say...get x number of engineers in a room, and you'll have x+1 solutions to a problem.

That said, generally speaking, the traffic patterns you pointed out are in themselves specialized cases. Normally, it's not that complicated.
Yes. I can tell you have networking experience. And I have focused on wireless more than my colleagues at my previous job. We're sort of talking about the same points in a different manner as you've stated.

My point is even if a single AP/wireless router can provide adequate performance for the average home, people need to start looking at doing wireless differently. With the new unified AP systems on the market and the maturity of structured wiring in new construction homes, there's really no excuse to not run a multi AP/unified wireless system. Especially with more and more wireless devices being used in a home and the increased utilization of streaming services.

I just have the mentality to have things done "right" versus half assing things. But then again, I'm one of those odd balls with networking and IT where I have a 100Gig switch and my servers are 40Gig attached.
Appreciate 0