View Single Post
      07-29-2014, 03:08 PM   #31
will.c
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46M

Update:

OEM blank rotors, brake ducting, PFC 08 pads with only 1 day on the fronts and brand new for the rears, and solid metal caliper guides on the fronts w/ ample lubrication.

Performance findings:

Brake torque, bite, and consistence is not like the 01s. 01s just had massive amounts of brake force throughout the braking zone lap after lap, hence allowed me to brake at consistent brake markers.

08s are similar in brake distance ONLY for the first 2-3 laps (while not having the same feel of brake torque, maybe just in my head), but when it gets heated up, I would have to brake about 100-150 ft earlier. 08s don't GIVE UP entirely like some other shitty pads do, but they just maintain the brake force at around 80% even when overheated. Reliable in that sense I guess. I just had to brake slightly earlier but consistency was achieved.

But when I was really pushing with the 08s, they started to vibrate slightly. Manageable, but vibrated and faded a little bit.

08s were okay overall, but considering that they are more expensive than 01s, and that the wear is not much better than 01s (see below), I don't know if they are worth it. I mean, the 01s made me feel like a superman, which now I fully appreciate. (I just can't afford a new set of 01s for EVERY damn event...)

Consumption findings:

Used about 75% of the front left pads in 1 weekend (10x 25min sessions). About 50% used on front right. Both front calipers got twisted pretty badly. (WTF!) More pads were used on the outside pads.

Rears were only used about 10% I would say. No caliper twisting was observed even without the metal bushings.

What I will try next:
DTC 70s with cheapest POS rotors I can get. See how that goes... Hawks are so much cheaper than PFCs. Yes, I hear they eat rotors, but that's why I'm getting the cheapest rotors possible, which actually are cheaper than pads!
Appreciate 0