Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82M/S213 E450 A/T

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
I'm actually kind of shocked by this one. Audi and Merc have left behind their diesels, and I thought BMW was about to do the same. They planned an X3 xDrive30d, which is nowhere to be heard or seen, the 540d came to America, selling 75 units, and is now somehow discontinued after 3 months, and it seems like the G20 3 series won't be getting a 30d model.
Wow, is that confirmed? Low volume isn't too surprising, but just 75 sales is still far less than I would have guessed (and I was pretty skeptical about the demand for this engine leading up to its release). I certainly hadn't heard it was dead already (if indeed it is), although with such low sales, it might be the right move. From the beginning, the release of the 540d seemed out of touch with market conditions, and it felt almost uncomfortably as though they forced it just to prove they were not cheating and that their diesels could still make it through US regulatory certification.

With the iPerformance lineup soon growing to include the X3, there will be full overlap between the models that include a PHEV and the models that would (or in the past) have included a diesel. The 3er, 5er, 7er, X3, and X5 all get "e" models, and while they might not necessarily offer the peak torque of a diesel, they do offer improved fuel economy compared to a similar gasoline model. The only thing missing is a 545e Model - the 5 Series should offer the drivetrains from both its larger and smaller siblings, just as it does with the gasoline engines.

I should add here that I can still see a potential market for a diesel X3 or X5 since they might be used to tow a boat or for other activities where the torque is beneficial. But for passenger cars, the demand appears to have shifted.
Plus PHEV don't work for city resident that have to park on the street and can't charge overnight. It's really a sad news to see diesel go away they are so cheap to run even for car. My 328d cost about 40% less in fuel than the equivalent 328i and paid for itself in 2 years. I hope the X5 will still be available in a diesel trim.
Appreciate 0