View Single Post
      01-05-2011, 12:06 PM   #13
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasE90 View Post
Haven't made much progress after a couple conversations with dealers. They are telling me that there is no iPod adapter available for install in my 2010 M3 (gen 2 iDrive; professional nav). What's infuriating is that you can search on bmwusa.com under 2010 335i sedan and at least the iPod Interface Adapter (glovebox, PN 65 11 0 439 429; link). This does NOT come up when searching under 2010 M3 sedan. Does anyone know if the audio components are actually different between the two cars?

Also found on this site (link) which lists OEM (supposedly) part numbers for iPod retrofit kit. This was when searching by VIN.

Anyone have ideas?
FYI, that OEM iPod retrofit is not the USB/iPod adapter. So $550+ for a mediocre iPod adapter is not that good an idea.

There is an OEM USB/iPod adapter retrofit available but only in Europe. It has never been offered in the USA at any dealer but it can be ordered thru eBay seller RoverActive, though. It also requires coding that cannot be done at any dealer but at an Autologic shop near you.

The other possibility is the Combox retrofit, which several aftermarket vendors have done. It requires updating the MY2009-on iDrive to the MY2011.5 firmware first and then wiring the Combox into the existing TCU/Assist harness. That will provide a much wider USB/iPod feature list than it is currently offered. And it could be even cheaper when all there is it's done than the OEM USB/iPod adapter retrofit.

Right now I'm having my 2009 CIC updated to the MY2011.5 just to test this Combox retrofit. Will post a full DIY in detail once completed.
Appreciate 0