View Single Post
      07-28-2016, 09:30 AM   #1
BlackPhoenix
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 E93 6MT VT2 625, JB/FR

Exhaust change up: IPE -> Corsa: anyone have any recs/pics on custom tips?

Hello,

My exhaust setup on my M has undergone several changes, and I'm looking for a refresh at the moment. Here are my past setups:

OEM xpipe + OEM exhaust mod = sweet sound, but wanted the extra power with the cat delete
Turner test pipes + IPE axleback = best combo so far, amazing sound, noticeable power bump but TX emission testing sucks
OEM xpipe + IPE: more muted, but ended up staying with this for emissions testing reasons; car with VT2-625 at the time
ESS HFC xpipe + IPE: to allow for less back pressure with SC; not too happy with the sounds with the combo, have some annoying tinny metallic ringing with quick blips of the throttle, feels like there is some restriction when mashing the gas at WOT. Love the Xpipe, well-designed, quality part.

I talked with AJ about this last combo and he told me that this combo resulted in almost a 40hp power decrease with the IPE on the dyno. The result was likely due to unusually higher back pressures. He suggested multiple other axlebacks and even the OEM was better. I haven't dyno'd my car yet, and the addition of the SC during this time would confound any noticeable power changes due to the exhaust change. Definitely have more power now!

Anyway, I'm definitely not super happy with this combo (IPE loves a catless setup) and am aiming for the following exhaust system qualities: 1) reliability (i.e., can I simply change to the ESS emissions tune and get tested every year), 2) sound: not happy with current setup, 3) power (this combo has been dyno'd before and does worse than a HFC xpipe + OEM exhaust), 4. Cosmetics: this is subjective and can be modified.

After listening to recordings of several setups (with my home theater system only), I decided to give Corsa a try. Shout out to kitw: his review of the Corsa was very convincing and the ESS xpipe combo coupled with their axleback sounds amazing! Def better than my current setup.. Definitely not sold on the looks, but I'm planning on painting the cans semi-gloss/matte black and either gloss black, black chrome or stainless steel 83mm double walled exhaust tips

My car is jet black, so I have a couple questions:
1) gloss black/black chrome vs stainless? Still undecided
2) anyone have any recs on exhaust tips? Looking at Mechunik, eBay shite, any recommendations on 83mm/maybe 3.5" outlet tips?

Thank is for the input!