View Single Post
      06-05-2013, 01:16 PM   #1
exmowner
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3X / 14 GTR

Ohlins Road&track Review!!:))

OHLINS R&T REVIEW _______________WARNING LONG POST!
After deciding on a super charger kit It was clear to me that I needed to address a few key areas of the m3 to complete the package so to speak. After reading review of different vendor’s offerings I decided to go with a kw sleeve over kit. While the drop was fantastic the ride was not what I was looking for. Without getting into that too much you can read my review of that set up here: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=841031.

Some close friends advised me that what I was looking for just did not exist. The criteria was clear, stock like comfort with high speed cornering stability and a set up that would help keep the wheels on the ground with the power I’m making.

My search led me to the Ohlins road and track kit. I had read rumors that a kit was in the works but with the e9X platform ending production, the chances of a kit being released in my eyes was slim. I was wrong and shortly after stumbling on Harlod from HP autowerks post about the R&T kit I knew I had to have it. Harold for those of you that don’t know him is extremely patient. After making the wrong decision the first time I had about 100+ questions and he answer every one.

I placed my order on April 24th and it was received May 29th. From what I can gather they’re hard to keep in stock due to high demand.

Now there was the question of installation. Running your own business as I’m sure many of you know makes taking vacations difficult and requires a lot of planning... My gf had wanted to take a trip to NYC since early march and I’ve been putting it off. Well as the expression two birds with one stone goes this was an ideal opportunity. I knew I would have to devote two full days to shopping to convince her and leave the suspension install for the last day of the trip. When looking for a shop in New Jersey I came across North East Motorsport in Mahwah NJ. I had booked an appointment the week prior with John the shop’s owner. He assured me they complete suspension installs regularly and that they would also be able to corner balance the car.

My appointment was for 8am but thanks to traffic I arrived closer to 9am. John was understanding and immediately drove my car in and began the install. Driving into the parking lot I knew I had made a great decision as to my shop choice. The parking consisted of 5 race cars and a few street bmw’s. I had mentioned to John that I wanted the car to be setup in accordance with Ohlins recommendations. The ride height offers a wide range of adjustment to suit most needs. The suspension itself is a work of art, so much that I felt guilty installing it.

Install took a little over 3 hours and then it was off to corner balancing. They use the latest hunter force equipment to align and corner weight the car. I requested front camber to be 1.7 and rear 1.9 to stay within bmw factory spec. I’m not planning more than one track event this year so this seems to be the best setup for primarily street use. Ohlins give you 20 setting for dampening. 15-20 clicks for street use, 8-15 for sporty driving and 0-7 for race. I decided to set them at 9 clicks hoping for a balanced between sport and comfort.

Now for the review: Wow! After a short test drive I knew this was the exact setup I was looking for and complimented the direction I took with the entire build. Bumps are soaked up without upsetting the chassis and the car feels composed. There is no suspension noise or rattles to speak of. The car drives like its on rails and gives you confidence getting into corners at speed. No increase to NVH! If anyone is planning a suspension upgrade you should defiantly place Ohlins at the top of your list.

The drop came out exactly as I wanted and I maintained a good amount of clearance. I have close to 1000kms on the car since install and I’ve enjoyed every one of them! Off the line tracking has also improved significantly, were I had trouble with traction in 3rd I’m now able to gain in second. The suspension does an amazing job of keeping the tires on the ground.

Needless to say I’m satisfied with my purchase and with the excellent service provided by Harold from HP and John from NE

Thanks guys!
Attached Images

2021-G82 BASE (SOLD)
Appreciate 0