03-12-2021, 01:34 PM   #83
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearKid View Post
I'm at a loss too. I've yet to pick up the car but hopefully all the old bearings and bolts are available. If so I'll look carefully at these bolts and take lots of pictures . I can tell you there won't be thread debris. There won't be any since the bolt threads are wider than the shank. Any thread material would be removed as the bolt made its way through the intact zone of threads. (The first 1/2 inch or so of threads is not in contact with the bolt's threads when torquing down so these will be intact.)

Shop is pretty firm on their stance that this was pre-existing, so let's go from there.
Theory to support this claim:
In the recent past, someone messed around and must have ever so slightly over tightened that one bolt. The rod bearings are stock and look to be consistent for the motor's mileage. That implies guilt on the former party, so instead of installing new bearings they put everything back together and put the car up for sale. The new owner drives the car for 500 miles since purchase and brings it in for new bearings. The tech goes to retorque that partially compromised bolt and it fully strips before getting half-way to spec.
Is this possible? Absolutely, but it would be easier to swallow if alcohol were involved...
If you have the appetite to use this shop, negotiate free/significant discount install of the new motor. Since this is so unusual, I can’t see how a reputable shop doesn’t met you halfway here.