FazerBoy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEllis View Post
Jack,

I have a 6MT. I am hesitant to go into detail because I do not want to dissuade anyone from getting this modification because to me these extra noises are very minor.

I too get a little extra linkage noise with the diff mounts. Usually at slow speed. I have also noticed some extra clutch and diff gear lash when moving slow and when going slow over bumps. At speed I do not notice any extra noise. For me I believe the sounds are even more noticeable with my SSK which uses delrin bushings.

For example, when backing out of my garage I get a little extra noise when I release the clutch and noise again when I shift from reverse to 1st gear. Once moving at speed (say over 20mph) I don't hear these noises anymore. However, I have a relatively loud exhaust that is probably drowning them out or when load is on the drivetrain the noises no longer occur.

Jason
Jason,

Thanks for that - that's put my mind at rest. I'm getting exactly those noises and all I wanted to know is that this is normal. The noises do not bother me in themselves.

As I said before, I love this mod and think that the M3 should have come like this as standard, but I also feel that we have to be honest about reporting what the downsides are if this is to be a community of people who help each other out with information.

I would be unhappy if I went ahead and carried out an expensive modification to my car based on reviews that only highlighted the positive aspects but neglected to mention any downsides.

Jack
Appreciate 0