View Single Post
      11-16-2013, 10:26 AM   #272
Cool Steel
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ZCP DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_fan View Post
I believe it has to some extent - some folks are aware. I too, will likely be going with M1 0-40W next oil change.
Be careful...save the engine and lose the warranty? The one thing protecting us against the bearing clearance/connecting rod clearance problem is our warranty. If we do anything that voids it were out $$$ for the engine. BMW is still recommending the 10-60 and mysteriously the lower viscosity showed up on their webpage. As far as I know there is no official change or approval of that weight. So....if your service advisor does not agree (they don't know crap so probably wont) he will probably mark that you wanted a lower weight in your car and if it has problems than they will blame it on guess who? Hell I don't know ...but this car is expensive and a blown engine is no joke. I plan on changing the oil every 6 months ( I know the thickness of the oil is a possible reason for the starvation of the bearing due to small clearance) however, I am unsure what the lighter weight will do to other parts of the engine, and is it the weight or simply the breakdown of the oil due to heat? too many questions left unanswered.. Also, make sure nothing but 93 octane, as detonation has come up as another possible cause of the bearing problem, and lastly keep the warranty...LOL

Last edited by Cool Steel; 11-16-2013 at 10:55 AM..
Appreciate 0