07-13-2013, 05:27 PM   #37
pbar
Captain
Rep
Drives: 992 GTS, Tesla M3P

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteM3 View Post
Folks,

For those of you with DCT on our beloved M3's, run...do not walk...to BPM Sport to get the DCT software upgrade. I finally found the funds enough to get Mr. Benvo's Stage 1 tune, DCT software, and Servotronic upgrade.

Mike has given me no incentive to post this review, and the comments are my own. Before I purchased the tunes, I was somewhat skeptical. Even with all the praise, I wondered if I would really appreciate the differences and feel my money was well spent.

Now that I have the nearly holy trinity of tunes (still have my Cat's, otherwise Stage 2 tune would fully complete it), I have to say, _THE_ tune to get before anything else is the DCT software upgrade. Why?

1) Cold Start transmission bucking is all but gone
2) Downshifts in D-modes are now silky smooth
3) Downshifts in S-modes are SO much less "lungy". It doesn't feel like you are letting go of the brakes to rev match nearly as bad as before.
4) Upshifts under WOT in modes 4-6 are firm but also somehow not as jolting as before. The car leaps forward now.

and finally, this one put a permanent smile on my soul...

5) Launch Control at 3500 RPM, goes from Zero to Holy Sh!% with little-to-no wheel spin, Leaping forward with every gear with a chirp of the tires. I NEVER used to use it, because frankly...it sucked. The car does NOT creep forward anymore, it wont eat your tires like before, and you can be sure that it is a feature that you will want to use now.

I know BPM Sport needs NO additional publicity, but after coming back from my test drive, I just HAD to share the giddy smile and feeling I have for my car.

I loved it before, but now, my wife and child will be jealous of the praise I am going to continually give it moving forward.

GREAT Job Mr. Benvo, and I look forward to what you come up with next.

P.S. I am glad the car didn't come this way from the factory. This way I can truly appreciate the mod for what it is.
Mike just flashed the DCT on my car this afternoon. I've only had about an hour driving the car, on a variety of roads, but I can tell you that the OP's review is *spot on*.

I typically drive in S4 most of the time, even around the city, and before the tune I had all sorts of issues with lurching gear changes, especially 1st and 2nd gear downshifts and pulling away from a standstill.

With Mike's tune it's almost like the car is psychic. The amount it blips the throttle seems to vary perfectly according to current RPM, throttle input, whether you're braking into a corner. (The OEM software just seemed to blip harder according to what shift mode you were in.)

The net result it that if you're driving fairly sedately you get silky smooth downshifts, when you downshift under hard braking you get a faster rev match with no jerkiness, and when you stand on the throttle you get seriously punchy upshifts.

I'm really looking forward to putting some more miles in on this on some of my favorite local roads over the next week or two!

...and by the way, Mike's "Swervotronic" update is equally awesome. Sport mode rolls off the servo assist pretty rapidly as the speed gets above about 15pmh. You can easily maneuver at low speed, but as soon as you 're moving you feel much more connected to the road. Almost reminds me of karting (but not *quite* so heavy! ;-)
Appreciate 0