10-21-2009, 08:36 PM   #75
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP Racing - Chris_B View Post
This is rarely, if ever, an issue. In case it ever became one, the pad abutment plates are replaceable. I've seen issues occur after someone disassembles a caliper for powder coating or other paint process and did not remove/replace them properly (clue: they shouldn't be messed with!). One other time was after a collision. If I was making a list of possible service items over the next 10 years, this would probably be dead last.

Seals might need to be replaced from time to time, but that mostly depends on the temperatures they see. On the street, I would expect 8-10 years. On the track, well, that depends on temperature. You can apply temp strips to monitor max temps. Once 220°C / 425°F has been exceeded, a seal change is advised. Most track guys replace seals every spring as part of an annual maintenance program. Very few replace them more often.

Chris
Thanks. I am aware of the servicing requirements of the seals. Not a big deal.

I was told that some caliper designs might not incorporate abutment plates, and therefore if there were to be any significant wear, you'd have to replace the entire caliper body. Just wondering if that was true. Clearly, that is not the case for APR calipers then.