slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datka View Post
I think 3.8 front camber is too much for this car.
I've been running maximum camber---whatever the Vorshlag will allow---in the front for at least 4 years on track, and I think most people would agree that my car is capable of putting down solid lap times. (I bring up lap times only to establish some sort of credibility for the car.) Max camber on Vorshlag usually equates to -3.8º to -4.1º depending on the day and place you measure it. The more camber I've run, the happier the front tire outer-edges are, and turn-in feels great. On this car, running much less camber with a grippy (soft) front tire results in outer edges that get destroyed too quickly, leaving the rest of the tire unused. I ruined tire edges in the front very quickly with lower camber.

I have not felt any degradation in braking performance either. My car still can pull 1.5G+ in braking deceleration. And I'm not squirming or sliding around when I'm on the brakes.

My friend with a very similar setup as me had been running max camber (around -4º) successfully for some time----meaning his tire edge wear was good and he could run 1:51 at Buttonwillow 13CW. He went to a high end alignment shop who told him it was too much. He left the alignment shop with -3.2º in the front. He showed up at the next track day at Buttonwillow with new Hankook TD's. Two sessions in, his front tire edges were well on their way to being fully destroyed while the rest of the tire looked almost new. He promptly slammed the camber back to maximum and he slowed the edge wear down back to what he was used to seeing.

It's worth noting that a more street oriented tire will resist edge wear longer than a soft track tire simply due to the harder rubber, so you won't see the effects as quickly. But that does not mean it's the correct way to run.

As far as rear camber, I've been running -2.2º and my rear tire wear has always been perfectly even across the face of the tire. It's amazing how much you have to fight the fronts, but the rears are so easy.
This has been my experience as well. I'm at -3.5 front and I'm still hammering the outer edge of my tires. I tried some setup changes hoping to alleviate the issue (stiffer front sway bar setting, full SPL arm conversion, camber increase from -3 to -3.5, wider wheels and tires (went from 10 with 265 to 10.5 to 285)). I'm left thinking I need to adjust my driving style and/or increase the camber even more. Based on your post I think more camber will help. Improving my driving is a given
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 1
Samo6556130.50