Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by delirium330 View Post
Just got a quote from a reputable indy shop for this job:

$760 for gaskets.
$900 for gaskets and both oil separators (no additional labor for this, just parts).

I was debating to DIY this... any opinions on length of time/difficulty to DIY? I think I'll plan to do the oil separators either way. I did DIY my E46 ZHP valve cover gasket in the past and have DIY'd my spark plugs on the e92, so that is about as close as I've gotten to the e92 gaskets.

If I DIY, looks like roughly $100 in gasket parts (2 x 11127838271/2) and $200 in oil separator parts (2 x 11157848155), so roughly $300 in parts to DIY. End Result = $600 for shop to do this.

Also, FCP Euro sells a valve cover gasket kit for $176 that includes 8 spark plug tubes... do those need to be replaced as well?
Definitely do spark plug tubes. I had a spark plug tube leak that prompted me to do the valve cover gasket job, so change them now while you're in there. Depending on how many miles/years are on your car it is a good idea to replace the o-rings around the bolts for the valve covers. The only problem is...for the S65 they decided they wouldn't sell the o-rings by themselves...you have to buy the bolts together. This ended up being the most expensive part of the repair. But since I was at 113k miles it made sense to go ahead and change them.

It's not that difficult of a job to DIY. Getting the plenum off can be a little tricky if you've never done it, and getting the clips off the fuel rail is kind of aggravating (a tiny pick/hook tool was extremely helpful here). I had been under the plenum before, but never done a valve cover gasket job and it only took me about 3 hours.
Appreciate 0