synclastica_86
Captain
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: F32 435i, E92 M3, S550

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Imagine how Ferrari owners would feel if Ferrari released an SUV.
Yes, but Ferrari is not like //M, it is a company dedicated to sports cars. //M is different, it is more like an in-house tuner just like AMG for mercs. Their job is to make bimmer a better driving machine (contradictory to the company slogan "the ultimate driving machine"). AMG did made the ML63 and the R63 (I must admit that it's a bad move... a real bad move), but that didn't piss of AMG owners. My point is: if //M can turn SUVs into cars that are pleasurable to drive, isn't this the ultimate proof that they know performance? Isn't this a plus for brand reputation?

Quote:
The E46 CSL did not have significantly more power, but it did have a lighter chassis and better intake/throttle response and camshaft and valve modifications (probably aimed at better performance at the high rpm range, but I don't know the specifics). Something about optimizing a system to make it as "lean" and "dedicated" as possible rather than simply increasing displacement. One could probably make similar changes to a stock E9X M3, but the image of the CSL stands out as a "less-comprimised" performance car (I won't call it a race car), which is a concept that is appealing to many. (Don't we all secretly want "less comprimised lives"?) But "appealing" does not mean that those folks will actually put their money where their mouths are and purchase a CSL and commute in it if it were to be avaliable.
I guess the question here is how extensively is the E46 CSL modified? Does it include modifications that an aftermarket tuner can't replicate? Some aftermarket mods are not all about power. Many serious tuners do focus on handling also. Is this enough? What can //M do that other tuners couldn't?

Quote:
I think this is the main issue. Some people are concerned that the //M "Motorsport" tradition is at risk. I personally do not think so, but significant reduction in the R&D budget and M engineers possibly spending time on not so relevant projects--"dilution" of focus internally--might indeed to be problematic in the long run. We'll see...
So the verdict: wait till the next M3 and see whether it has been reduced to a camry on steroids. (fingers crossed)

Current: BMW F32 435iA M-Sports; BMW E92 M3, M-DCT; Mercedes W221 S550 4matic; Ford Fiesta ST; Nissan Silvia S15 Spec-R
Retired: BMW E93 323iA; BMW E85 Z4 3.0i, SMG; Lexus IS 250 AWD; Lexus GX 470; Mercedes W203 C230 Sportscoupe; Peugeot 206 S16; Peugeot 206 RC
Appreciate 0