View Single Post
      11-20-2012, 08:31 AM   #12
Porschefile
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Derple View Post
Please don't be advising r-compounds to an obvious rookie this is dangerous and bad advice. I don't mean to call anyone out I just think we need to be mindful of the ability of the drivers we are giving advice to. It is in their best interest that new drivers don't leap to r-compound tires otherwise this could happen http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=694316

Anyways, HPDE is not about lap times and chasing speed through car modifications. It is about chasing speed through better driving. Street tires will make you a better driver before r-comps do. Street tires allow for higher slip angles, more cushion, more progressive break away, more car control to play with, limit at safer speeds. R-comps reward a slightly different driving style that, in my opinion, isn't as fun!, but drivers education should be done on street tires in slow cars.
1000x this! R comps for a new driver restrict learning and are dangerous. Stick to true street tires for at least a few track days, then to a mid grade r comp like a PSC or NT01, then to slicks or R6/R1 if you want to go that far. Good advice in here, no need to mod much while you're new.
Appreciate 0