View Single Post
      08-05-2018, 10:07 AM   #1
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Fun Daily

Well I've made a recent move with work, and while a beneficial upward movement, this move will also demand more time at the office out of me. Up to this point, the pair of us have been carpooling since she has to pass by my work to get to hers. It's been great with the amount of money we save on fuel and added maintenance costs with just her Jeep and my E90 in the garage. We keep the Bimmer at home, and pile into the Jeep for daily duty. However, as I find myself staying in the office later I've come to realize that I can't have her idling out in the parking lot waiting on me to get out of a meeting.

Sure, the E90 checks just about every single box for a car that just about does it all. But with a long commute each way, I don't find it being the right car with its terrible gas mileage and higher maintenance costs. I have no interest in getting rid of the E90 and would like to continue its role of a garage car that gets taken out once or twice a week. So...enter the need for a cheaper commuter car.

I can't not have fun, so I don't see myself going after a Camry or a Prius or whichever toaster oven on wheels. I won't be buying new and would like to keep the price at $15k or possibly more if it is something worth getting CPO.

The car's needs:
Reliable and easy/cheap-ish to maintain
Good MPG (predominately highway)
Some creature comforts (Bluetooth, decent sound, relative comfort, heated seats, etc.)
Some fun and cool factor

I've thought Mini Cooper S, but I had an R53 that may have been a bit too connected to the road. Hoping newer ones are more refined and reliable?
I like the newer Miatas, but are they too go-karty? I imagine the S2000s are in the same boat
Heck, maybe I just need to pick up a clean 328 wagon?

What are your thoughts?

-Tyler
Appreciate 0