01-15-2007, 06:04 PM   #30
e36jakeo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 6 Speed MT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coaster View Post
Wow, if this is really true it validates my fear that the new M3 will probably underperform our expectations in the power dept. It also sounds like getting over 400 HP with a small V8 is hard to do (Lexus could barely do it and they had to go with 5 liters).

As far as the "detuned" 335i goes, I see it as good news. By the time the new M3 comes out I expect tuners to have solved the "detuning" issue giving us well over 400 HP with very little money. (Problem there will be how to get the rest of the car, ie. LSD and suspension, a little better.)

As I have said before, I expect the "properly tuned" 335i to be the toughest challenge to the new M3. It pisses me off that BMW is choosing to f*ck the performance of their 3-series car just so that it doesn't threaten sales of their upcoming and much more expensive M-car.
This is the way with the profit-minded company -- upsell you to the more expensive (and profitable) model. The Porsche Cayman S has no limited slip diff and longer gearing than a base 911 to ensure the 911 is quicker in a straight line and faster around a race course. The Cayman is mid-engined and lighter than a 911, so inherantly would be faster if actually allowed to compete on an equal playing field. But Porsche needs to keep the mystique of the 911 -- and the extra $12K!! Upselling = big $$!

The 335i's XEDE reflasher ($1300) will bring HP to 360-380HP (and over 400 HP with race gas) www.vishnutuning.com
You can get an LSD for the 335i from diffsonline http://www.diffsonline.com/product/customdiff7.htm
Probably $4K installed

And suspension will be easy to come by, too for $1500 or so installed should compete with the M3 in handling.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...t=29819&page=2

Get some cool, lightweight 18" or 19" rims with matched front and rear tires (255s all around) (total = $3K or so) and it will look bitchin', handle and go like an M3, and will still cost $10K less than an M3.

And you can get it now!:rocks:
Appreciate 0