View Single Post
      08-14-2018, 03:56 PM   #17
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
As a manager who deals with this sort of thing on a regular occurrence, I can share with you my thoughts from the other side of the desk:

1) Starting off with "I want a raise" is starting off on the wrong foot. You're making it all about you from the get go. If you want your boss' attention in a good way, make it about the company. "I'd like some additional responsibilities and challenges." That at least starts the conversation out in the right direction.

2) I get employees who come in with researched salary data from Indeed, Glassdoor, etc. It goes right in the trash can. I put no value in it. It's too generic and does not speak to the micro economics of my industry, my location, my business. We pay a compensation analyst to review our positions and salaries on an annual basis across other similar sized companies and industries in our area. I'm putting my stock in what he says, not in what someone downloaded from the Internet. Besides, for every graph you show me that shows you are underpaid, I can find one that shows you are overpaid. I think this approach is a waste of time, IMO.

3) Why are you not getting regular performance reviews? They are the basis for any discussion about merit, performance, and compensation changes.

4) Go for a title change, not a salary change. The comp change will follow the title change. Pushing for a title change says "I want to do more". Pushing for a salary change says "I want to make more for doing the same." You said you are doing all sorts of things that are outside the scope of what you were hired for. Push to make those responsibilities official and wrap them up into a title / position change and the comp change will come along with it. If it doesn't follow, they are taking advantage of you and it's time to bail. Take your new title and show it off on your resume as you look for a different job.

5) Think bigger. Think strategic. Think global. Most employees of your tenure and experience are myopically focused on their jobs. One of the things I look for in a star employee who is capable of contributing at a higher level is someone who can take the blinder off and start to see what's going on not just with their role but with their team, their department, the company as a whole. With millions an revenue and 20 employees I guarantee you there's improvements to be made. Process, efficiency, etc. How can you help make the company more efficient, more profitable? Start asking those questions and looking to tackle larger problems; it all goes towards proving you are a key player who needs to be retained and promoted.

EDIT - One thing I forgot to mention: Understanding the company culture and the personal/professional attributes of the management team is critical. Everything I told you above can go right out the window, depending on the company so start with understanding where and who you work for. IS your boss a self-serving jerk who is afraid you will take charge and make him look bad? Does the company prefer to hand out promotions and comp changes based on favoritism and nepotism instead of a rigorous and balanced review process? Does the management team want driven, smart, people who are looking to excel or do they want people to shut the F up, keep their head down, and don't make waves? The advise I gave you above is based on a high-energy, hard driving company that only hires the best and is hell-bent on global domination. If you work for a lackluster company controlled by fear, apathy, and general laziness, well, my advise will likely change.

Give us the low-down on the company culture, the management team, and your direct boss. With that we can gave you much more targeted advice.
Shit....I want to thank you for this.
Appreciate 2
DETRoadster11466.50
MKSixer34188.50