Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBPhD View Post
Well, kind of . . . Check out M. Miller's Lifetime Maintenance Schedule. Short answer: If you want the car to last, change the gear oil, even if you have a DCT. Otherwise, don't bother.
I think we can trust the BMW people here ...

"The optional M DCT Drivelogic transmission has a long-term rated oil DCTF-1, which requires no replacement unless specified for a repair"

Comments from a Pentosin Chemical Engineer about the effects of intense heat on the BMW-DCTF-1 (FFL-4) fluid:

"We vex the FFL-4 for 192 hours at 170°C (338°F) by bringing in air. It is still okay after this treatment. But this is an aerobic treatment whereas in the gear box the FFL-4 sees an unaerobic atmosphere most of the time. If you take an hour of this lab test and estimate that, it is equivalent with an hour of the car running at 200 km/h (124 mph) you get a milage of 38400 km (23861 miles). But obviously one hour at 170°C under air stands for more than 1 hour at 200 km/h. According to BMW it is 5 hours at 200 km/h."

PS. In North America we don't drive at the above specified speeds, even in Germany I may drive that fast, however, never for such long periods I often stop for coffee breaks for German coffee is just so delicious at the many Autobahn Gas stations, speaking of gas stations ... if we drive our M3 at those speeds we have to find a gas station way under 5 hours anyway
Attached Images

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 03-04-2013 at 03:36 PM..
Appreciate 0