View Single Post
      09-11-2014, 12:11 PM   #1
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

Retirement. Who's thinking/planning for it?

I have been contemplating/planning my way into retirement for the past 3 years. No matter how I cut it, I hate working even when I'm working for myself. My boss is a straight up asshole lol. I'm at a stage in my life that I really do not wish for anything more than happiness for my family and I. I'm well past all the materialistic things in life and just want to spend time (which I find the most valuable) with the people I care most about in a place that makes them comfortable (Vancouver).

So the question is, who here is actually planning for retirement? I mean, we all have an end game right? What's does it take? What's the $ amount that will set you free and allow you to live your life the way you want to? How does your equation work?

For me, based on several factors such as inflation, investment return rates, other passive income (ex. rental income), monthly expenses (with conservative contingencies), and a significant amount of rainy day cash, I have concluded that I need no more than $3m usd to get the job done regardless of age for me and my family.

In other words, assume you hit a lottery. What amount would it take you to completely retire and why?

For those who say they will continue to work no matter what, you sicken me lol jk.