View Single Post
      07-15-2018, 02:45 PM   #64
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Even amongst my friends very few people ever want to come out to car shows with me, and only one or two ever even wax their cars. So I definitely feel I'm one of the few people who care about this hobby. That's why cars & coffee events exist, to meet new people who have a similar hobby.

While I've never used Meetup.com it's basically the same concept for other hobbies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
I joined BMWCCA for the rebate on new cars but I suppose others join for the common interest and social events. I am guessing most BMWCCA members found out about it without a website like meetup.com.

I think the "rush to judgment" arose as a result of how OP posed the question. If you have an existing interest and join a well known club of some kind to interact with others who have similar interests, not too unusual. If you can't make friends and go to a website designed to connect with other people who can't make friends that sounds unusual and forced. I think Post #1 sounded more like the latter to many.
Meetup provides a vehicle for you in one spot browse through groups focused on a particular interest. You don't have to waste your time running around asking what groups are around or actually...physically going there to find out it's not for you. Many times you can get a feel for how the group events are going to be by looking at the event descriptions, the comments, and many times photos taken of the event. And if you don't like the group, you have a place to go back and try the next group without spending much more effort.
Appreciate 1