United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 DCT ZCP

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by carenthuziast View Post
Classic with classic..

6MT + NA V8.

I've read plenty here that the DCT is awesome, and it's not a fair comparison, but I had a rental car this week...a Camry with paddle shifters. I'm not trying ot compare an M car with a Camry, but just the mode of driving.

It's just normal for humans to take the path of least resistance given the circumstances and there's no way I would use those shifters much if my M was dct...I would just drive it like an automatic that it is.
I have also driven a Camry w/shift paddles and it's an apples to oranges comparison trying to extrapolate that to the DCT. Not even close. The Camry doesn't use a dual clutch and the BMW DCT is a completely different animal.

I've meen a MT guy since my driver's permit 31 years ago and this is the first non-MT car I've ever owned. I test drove both extensively and went DCT and have zero regrets. It just fits this engine and car so well and is sooooo good at what it does. I had people telling me I would get lazy and let the car shift for itself and 13 months later I am still using the paddles every time I drive it.

Now, what to do about that reflexive pressing of my left leg into the firewall...
tooloud10766.50