View Single Post
      02-03-2014, 08:08 AM   #71
jritt@essex
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, NSX, 997.2, 987.1

Thank you very much for the kind words.

The yellow logos as shown on the e46 kits at the beginning of this thread are hand-painted at the AP Racing factory. My understanding is that the paint they use is an enamel that is baked on after it is applied. There is no reason why you couldn't paint the logo yourself at home in any desired color if you wanted to add a little bling/customization to match the car. I think it would look quite good actually. There are a number of caliper paints on the market that would get the job done.

I will note however that any paint you use could exhibit color-shift over time. The heat of the track, coupled with highly corrosive brake fluid, tends to damage paint very quickly. As long as you used a high quality, high temp paint though, I don't see any reason why the calipers wouldn't look good for a considerable length of time. Once the logos got a bit knackered, they could always be freshened with a coat of paint as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant Man View Post
This is such an informative and brilliant thread. Huge contrast to some vendors that post on this website claiming 'this and that' with no understanding or evidence to back up their claims.

Jeff,
I fully understand where you are coming from, in your post above, you articulated it very well.

Lack of bling (cosmetic jewellery can be left to Brembo) would not prevent me buying your kit at all (far from it, as the brakes are awesome from a performance perspective) but on the 1st page, the E46 has the calipers in what I'd call, motorsport colours. By having the E92 (plus others cars) in the motorsport colours, would add plenty of visual appeal without being bling and emphasize the dynamic performance of your product.

Is that something that is likely to be more achievable in the short term? One can always paint the letters in yellow at home anyway.
Appreciate 0