03-03-2008, 10:39 AM   #88
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:
Originally Posted by e36jakeo View Post
I've read quite a few articles that say the 997 Turbo does not handle very well at the track. It is quite a bit slower than a GT3, which has a lot less HP and torque (although comes with sticky R compounds). The 911 Turbo is for guys who like to say "I have a 911 Turbo" and who like to punch it on the on ramp until they hit 80 MPH. GT3s are for true drivers.

THe GTR is pretty hard-core and, although its AWD and turbo power may make you want to compare it against the 911 Turbo, I think in spirit it is a lot closer to the GT3. The GT3 is supposed to ride decent with the adjustible suspension (PASM??) and probably as well as the GTR. Meanwhile it is more involving, better sounding, better looking (my opinion) and almost as fast in a straight line and probably equally fast around MOST road courses (that have lots of turns - no N'Ring) as the GTR. When you factor in the GTR's markup, the two may cost similar $$s, too.
Have you ever owned or even driven a 911 turbo? The turbo is definately softer than the GT3, but if it wasn't then the GT3 would not make as much sense. The turbo, although marketed for a different type of driver, has run pretty even wirth the GT3 on some road coures and will utterly destroy it on the street. It is hardly for those who want to punch it on an on ramp. It is an absolutely incredible street sports car and is more car than most street drivers could truely appreciate.

Match the turbo against the GT-R in a roll on drag race, I am confident the results would be much different. The GT-R, as Swamp and others here have pointed out, has definitive benefits which allow it to beat out all these performance cars. The most important one to me is, will this car come in the states underrated by 40 hp? How much weight will it gain coming here. These two elements alone will clearly define if it will be able to beat out Porsche's almighty turbo. Also, if not for launch control and DSG, it would not be edging out the 911, it would be the other way around.

Lastly, how many time are people going to insist that the GT-R is going for $20-$40k over. Mine is coming at MSRP and many others have sold for the same. Many of these $20k over dealer/stealers have called back customers lowering their mark ups by 50-70%. The norm seems to be anywhere between MSRP, to $5k or $10k over. If Nissan does bump up production as much as they have suggested, the GT-R's overage will greatly diminish as will the residuals; like any other car. I do not want to know what will happen to the prices if the US cars come in with a real 473 hp and not the 530 hp they are generously giving the car now. The more feedback I get the more skeptical I become.

lasty, what is this fascination with a tenth or two on a lenghtly track? In reality, who the fock cares? It is a street car that few will be taken to "driving schools", not GT races. I am getting the GT-R because it IS cheaper than the 911tt thus allowing me to own another $70k car and not have all my eggs in one basket. With a cheaper price comes a cheaper car. I am not afraid to say it. The GT-R although fast is no Porsche. If I were to win the lottery the GT-R would not be a consideration. Sorry, to all those I likely offended, but like DeNiro said in Deer Hunter: "It is what it is, it is not something else, it is what it is".
Appreciate 0