View Single Post
      01-27-2011, 02:49 AM   #206
simianspeedster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 840i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayani_1 View Post
I think its a bit harsh to shoot down something before you have even given it a chance.
I get your point, but I've been at this game long enough and driven enough 4-cylinders to know that BMW can't alter the laws of physics. Simply stated, there is no 2.0L 4 cylinder available today that can match the smoothness of a good, naturally balanced inline 6 like the N52. It's not physically possible with currently available technologies and there's no suggestion BMW has some radical trick up their sleeve. Sure, superbikes make interesting noises, but they have such low displacement that they aren't overwhelmed with the NVH of larger 4 cylinders engines. They don't call 'em 4-bangers for nothing, you know!

Let's put it this way: if I've had ten different kids of pepperoni pizza and I never liked the taste of any of them, what are the odds that the local pizza joint will develop a new pepperoni pizza that I'm really going to like? When my lease is up, I'll certainly drive one of these 4 cylinders before rendering my final opinion, but I'm already prepared for a deep sense of disappointment -- exxperience tells me there's no realistic reason to think it's an unwarranted emotion.
Appreciate 0